March 14, 2007

Books Teens Will Love as Prizes

Recently, I was asked by my colleagues to come up with a list of books that we could give teens as cool prizes for summer reading club this summer. Rather than do just regular books, I was trying to come up with books with doodads or whatzits in them: Books that would fall apart easily if circulated at a library. This would be easier with books for younger children. But here is what I came up with so far:

Cathy's Book: If Found Call . . . by Sean Stewart
I still haven't read it, but it has multiple layers of text to appreciate, apparently. And there is a packet with lots of doodads to read (napkin, etc.) Here is a great review of it from Mother Reader.







My Secret: a PostSecret Book by Frank Warren
Originally I was going to suggest the first Post Secret book, but I think this one would be better for teens since it is exclusively teen secrets. If you haven't heard of Post Secret, it's the baby of a Frank Warren. People send in their deepest secrets on a postcard. They collage on it, write on it, draw on it, etc. Frank just asks that somewhere on the card is written something they have never told anyone before. Of course, the secrets are anonymous, but they are agreeing to let him publish the secret. It started out as a website (the 3rd most popular blog anywhere, woah, that's tight), and now he has released books! These are fascinating to look at. I would not give them to anyone under middle school for sure, since some of the secrets are graphic (cutting, rape, and molestation are discussed multiple times). Many creators of card have said that telling their secret is a huge step toward healing for them.


Pop Up Book of Phobias by Gary Greenberg

This is a trip to look at. It has a two page spread which portrays a living example of someone's worst nightmare. I haven't seen this book in awhile, but there is a spread on clowns (one of my fears!), using public bathrooms, being in a dentist's chair, being on a too tall building, and being on a plan as it is about to crash. This is a great coffee table book, and teens would enjoy looking at it in groups
With all the hoopla over Eragon (despite the most unyummy movie), I figured this might catch some interest. I haven't seen it yet, but it contains the mythical context for the books, tips for writing your own story, and dragon lore.
The Pop-Up Book of Celebrity Meltdowns by Melcher Media
Do I really need to explain why this would be appreciated by teens? Michael Jackson and Tom Cruise are lovingly portrayed on the cover . . .


So, does anyone else have some greet ideas for teen gift books? Please leave your comments. Please, please, please!

1 comment:

jules said...

The Pop-Up Book of Phobias looks so great. Why haven't I seen this book in my life? Wah. But thanks. I'll go find it.