December 12, 2013

Lessons on the Eve of My 37th Year

Just a quick post today.  Tomorrow is my birthday.  Yes, it's true, I am turning 37 years old.  It's hard to believe I am definitely on my way to 40.  Just a few more years now.  I don't feel like 37.  A few years ago that wasn't true.  I remembered feeling so old and tired.  I have more energy now and more hope for the future, and that's a good thing.  I just thought I would share with you a few things I have learned in this past year, since I wrote about moving forwards from crisis and recovery to success.  Some of these things I have already experienced before, but they were just solidified this year.

A year from now, not everyone who seems important in your life will still be important.

When I look back on who I abided with a year ago, it was a totally different crowd.  And that's cool.  I don't have any broken relationships.  I strongly believe God puts people in our lives and we need them at that moment.  But it might not last forever.  You have to be intentional about relationships, and if they slide or become less important, it is simply because they are not the ones that will help you reach your goals at this season in life.

When God gives you a crazy idea, just go with it.  If it sounds impossible and really difficult, really go for it.  And don't worry about orchestrating it; He will do it.

Bringing my niece from Indiana to live with me in North Carolina was a crazy idea.  I had never had kids, and for two months, I learned what it was like to be a Mom.  Not just a Mom, but a Mom to a teenager.  It was exhausting.  But it was also so good.  It was so good for her and for mme.  And also my sister and my brother-in-law.  It was a life changing experience.  And I didn't have all the answers.  It was a total faith thing.  I wasn't sure how it would work, but it did.

God will give you people to help you with those crazy ideas.  These people are extremely important and demand your utmost respect.  God gives you these angels.  Every night, squeeze your eyes tight and don't try to hold back the tears as you tell God how grateful you are.

Even if I try, I won't be able to fully describe what all people did for Chloe, Carrie and I during this time.  There were prayers, oh yes, prayers.  There were also babysitters, and people who held up my arms when I didn't think I could take one more step.  There were people who loved on Chloe when I couldn't.  Who gave her gifts to show her she was loved.  They invested in her.  

Parallel to the first lesson, you never know who will become important in your life.

When my sister started dating this one guy, I told her I wanted to meet him in three months.  Well, it ended up being sooner because he was a caregiver for my niece.  I met him and a couple months later, he was family.  My brother-in-law is one of my angels.  So glad to have met him.

God will provide.  always.  every time.  no questions.

I had to find a place to live.  After searching frantically for a month and refusing to settle, I found a place.  It's home.  It's safe, and it's the best  options I could ask for.  I am grateful for that gift.  It was not finalized until 2-3 days before I was scheduled to move.  That is not the way I operate.  This time it was.

That thing you have been praying about for years and years and shows no sign of happening?  Yeah, that prayer can be answered when you least expect it.  Never quit.

I reconnected with someone this year I have been praying for.   A year ago, this person did not want anything to do with me.  This year, I received an opportunity to talk and see how God is working in his life.  Awesome.

When you feel frustrated that you haven't done something that you know you need to do that you haven't done yet, be kind to yourself. You will do it when it's the right time.  

I have been needing to start writing again.  Now I am doing it.  It's nice, and no one had to make me.  Eliminate self-judgment from your life. 

Your life can chance in the blink of an eye. 

Lastly, set good boundaries with family but always keep them within arm's distance.  The relationships will go from good to bad, and they won't always be perfect, but keep your family around anyway.  When it's good, it's really good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Lindsey! I thoroughly enjoyed the read! Great insight!
~ Clint ~